ClearCheckbook Support Forums

ClearCheckbook Support Forums

Search the Forums

Enter a word or phrase (eg: what is jive?)

Confused, Jive vs. Overall

bob914
Posted: Nov 7, 2011
bob914   |   Posted: Nov 7, 2011
My account got all messed up so I wanted to start a fresh month. I Jived what I could for October. At the end of October, the Jive amount is different than the amount on my statement, after I added a correction entry. So, here's the question. Once I add the correction such that the overall budget ends with the same number as the statement, and everything is jived, why is the jive amount different than the ending amount for the month? Once everything is in sync, shouldn't these numbers be the same?
blair
Posted: Nov 7, 2011
blair   |   Posted: Nov 7, 2011
I had just come here to post the same question. There is more that just doesn't add up, though.

I can search all-time transactions on a specific account, and over the whole lifetime of the account (which had an initial balance of 0) see the total balance of deposits and withdrawals.

Going to the register, it is also possible to see the balance, which I would expect is all-time deposits minus withdrawals. However, this number is different from the result of the search.

Just as Bob asked, once everything is in sync, shouldn't these numbers be the same?
bob914
Posted: Nov 9, 2011
bob914   |   Posted: Nov 9, 2011
Hope someone, maybe the folks at Checkfree, can shed some light on this. I went back to the account to see if I can figure it out and all I've done is confused myself further. I'll even simplify it. If I have a bank statement with an ending balance, how can I start a new month clean? The jive function is doing nothing for me and unless I can get it to "jive", there's no value in this app. Thanks much.
cswroe
Premium Member
cswroe   |   Posted: Nov 9, 2011
The jive amount is the total of all "cleared" or "reconciled" transactions (debits and deposits). When you have successfully balanced your checkbook, the jived amount will be the same as the ending balance of your bank statement (there is a video in tutorials). The overall balance would be the true and accurate balance of the account if transactions have been properly entered. The overall and jived are generally never the same since there are debits and deposits since the statement closing date; I guess it could be possible if you have a checking account that is rarely used, but the overall balance would change as soon as a deposit or debit was made.

The site used basic math to help the user keep track of their finances, so anything lacking is not a limitation of the site, but of the user. You will only get out what someone has put into it.
bob914
bob914   |   Posted: Nov 9, 2011
Myyyyyy bad!! I figured it out. I was doing everything correct. I needed to click the "refresh balances" link. Once I did that, everything corrected and the way I thought it was supposed to work worked perfectly. Why I didn't click the link in the first place? I'll blame that on lack of sleep.

Thanks much.
cswroe
Premium Member
cswroe   |   Posted: Nov 9, 2011
Glad you got it figured out. That is a common fix/solution, I need to remember to preface all my responses with "Have you tried refreshing balances"?
bob914
Posted: Nov 13, 2011
bob914   |   Posted: Nov 13, 2011
Thanks so much.
Daddygem
Posted: May 26, 2014
Daddygem   |   Posted: May 26, 2014
Once you are done Jiving, how do you clear the Jive balance so you can start over clean next time you get a statement?
PHishHead
Premium Member
Posted: May 27, 2014
PHishHead   |   Posted: May 27, 2014
Daddygem, you should never clear the Jive Bal cos that would put your acct. total(s) out of whack. Once a trans. has cleared in the bank you Jive it in CCB & it stays jived for life.
Sounds like you just want to look at recent trans....Go to search at the top (next to teh CCB Toolbar), put in the date field you care to look at. You can choose to look at only trans that have jived or trans that have not jived, look at one certain acct or look at just one category (ie. Groceries or Gas, etc). Once you geet used to it, this site is a godsend.
Daddygem
Posted: May 30, 2014
Daddygem   |   Posted: May 30, 2014
Thanks PHishHead, I guess I am going to have to adjust my thinking from my Quicken mindset. When reconciling statements in the past, I always started at zero, and clicked transactions to work toward the total listed on the statement. Then Quicken would start at zero again next time I went through the act of reconciling a statement.
Looks like the Jived balance on CCB just grows exponentially as you reconcile/Jive transactions with the statement. If I am reading this right, I should just worry about having all of the transactions in CCB that are listed on the statement, and not leverage the ending balance as a checkpoint.
Again, I appreciate you helping a rookie.

Contact ClearCheckbook

If you have a question about the site, please check the Support Forums, Tutorials and Help section to see if it's already answered there.

Your message has been sent.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We work hard to respond as quickly as possible to our emails. You'll receive a response soon.