ClearCheckbook Support Forums

ClearCheckbook Support Forums

Search the Forums

Enter a word or phrase (eg: what is jive?)

Bill reminder "disappeared"

asharpe
Posted: Feb 2, 2012
asharpe   |   Posted: Feb 2, 2012
I don't know how long the Bill Tracker feature has been up, but I just discovered it a week or so ago and it's fantastic! It was a feature sorely lacking which in my opinion now makes CCB a truly complete solution for me.

Anyway, I was going through and setting up my bills. I have one particular bill which seems to be due on the last day of any month. Since this is February I didn't want to set it up to be due on the 29th, and then have it recur on the 29th of every month which really it ought to be the 30th or 31st most months. I noticed the floating option of every "last" "day." So I changed it to that, thinking that it would remind me on the last day of every month. However, it disappeared. I'm guessing that it maybe means "last day of every *year*" ????

Anyway, because I'm not a premium member I cannot edit the amount of time forward that it will let me see my reminders, so that particular bill reminder is invisible to me and I cannot edit it.

On another note (and I'm sure you're getting hit with this request daily), it will be great when we can set up bill tracking/reminders for more irregular bills -- such as the auto insurance I pay quarterly, or yearly tax bills.

Thanks --Aaron
SiliconTrance
Premium Member
- Site Admin -
Posted: Feb 3, 2012
SiliconTrance   |   Posted: Feb 3, 2012
Hey Aaron,

Which bill did you want to hit on the last day of every month? Let me know and I'll check to make sure it was set up properly.

Also, for quarterly/yearly bills you can already do this in the bills and reminders systems.

Quarterly:
* Select "Repeating" and do every *3* *months*

Yearly:
* Select "Repeating" and do every *1* *year*
asharpe
Posted: Feb 4, 2012
asharpe   |   Posted: Feb 4, 2012
I was able to find the bill when I realized that it also appears in the list of "reminders." I was able to move forward the date (using the calendar) and find it, and indeed it was set for Dec 31 2012. I edited it to just be for 2/29/2012 repeating every month.

Now, it's even stranger. If I look at the list of reminders/upcoming transactions that appears on my dashboard, I can see it on there - for 2/29/12. But when I look at the list of Bill Tracker items for the next 30 days, it just isn't there. I've refreshed both pages several times and this persists. The bill is for "Dairlyand Auto" if you're looking.

These are great tools, but a little confusing in the sense that they're somewhat duplicative. I have never liked that the Reminders with Transaction info added would automatically add the transaction to the register when the date arrives. Also, if I add the amount due and all that to the Bill Tracker, I'm wondering if it's going to add the transaction to my register *twice* (since the same thing is also set as a "reminder" in that list -- The confusion arises because both the "Bill Due" and the "Reminder" appear in the list of Reminders/Upcoming Transactions on the dashboard.)

I originally came to CCB from MS Money, which I used for many years, but was getting older and was no longer supported, plus I wanted something web-based. (I also switched to Mac). One thing I really did like about MS Money was the way reminders worked.

Ideally, I would like a neatly kept "list" of bills that appears by date, always rolling the ones coming due to the top (and moving them back to the bottom once paid). You should be able to keep the amount due there, and update it whenever as necessary (as most bills change month to month). No transaction is ever automatically added (right now, with CCB, I don't see a way to keep track of due date and amount due without also automatically adding the transaction to the register). Instead, a "pop-up" windows opens on or before the due date, allowing you to either "snooze" or add it to the register. Seems that I recall that you were able to set how far in advance you wanted the reminder to pop up.

As it is right now, I keep my own list of bills coming due, along with amount and due date, using the "Notes" feature, and I'm always taking them off the top of the list once paid and putting them at the bottom and manually changing the date. So, I'm actually now using "Reminders," "Bill Tracker," and "Notes," all to accomplish the same thing. With all the tools on CCB, this ought not be necessary.

Just my 2 cents. -Aaron
Brandon
Premium Member
- Site Admin -
Posted: Feb 4, 2012
Brandon   |   Posted: Feb 4, 2012
Hey Aaron,

I've fixed this so it shows up in both places now. You're right that there can be some duplication between the two tools. It's really set up so you can use each one independently or both together. If you just want to track bills but also get reminded about them, you can create the bill and it will set a reminder up to alert you when the bill is coming up.

The bill tracker should also be used if you don't want your bills to auto-add but still want to know the details of the transaction (account, amount, category, etc). I think the confusion you're having right now is that you already had many reminders set up before the new Bill Tracker tool came out so getting the two to match up was a little difficult.

From now on for your purposes you can pretty much solely use the Bill Tracker to add and manage your bills and then use the Reminder options within each bill to set up what kind of reminders you want. This way the bill tracker will behave like you want where every 30 days the bills will essentially rotate through so you can see what's upcoming and what's due.
slandolfa
Posted: Feb 10, 2018
slandolfa   |   Posted: Feb 10, 2018
I am currently having this same issue with a bill for February that is floating on the last day of the month. It would not show up on the calendar, upcoming bills tab, or as a reminder on the dashboard. But I am able to see it listed when I click on View All Bills. Upcoming Bills show bills well past Feb 28, but this particular one is not on the list anywhere until Mar 31. I have the date set as Feb 28, 2018 floating last day.

Contact ClearCheckbook

If you have a question about the site, please check the Support Forums, Tutorials and Help section to see if it's already answered there.

Your message has been sent.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We work hard to respond as quickly as possible to our emails. You'll receive a response soon.