ClearCheckbook Support Forums

ClearCheckbook Support Forums

Search the Forums

Enter a word or phrase (eg: what is jive?)

Suggestions for improvement

rnstewart
Premium Member
Posted: Jul 23, 2013
rnstewart   |   Posted: Jul 23, 2013
I've been using Clear Checkbook for several years now, and I have been pleased to see how it continues to improve. It's a very powerful tool that I depend on every day, so thank you for all of the hard work you do.

I do have a few ideas for improvement, though. I apologize in advance for the wall of text; these are things I've been thinking about for a while, so I thought I would just do a brain dump here.

1) Add interest calculations to Credit Card accounts. It would be great if, when creating a Credit Card account, I could enter the APR and have Clear Checkbook automatically calculate and add the interest charges on a regular schedule.

2) Customizable order of items in "Estimate Future Balances". I get paid by direct deposit, and I often schedule a lot of bill payments on payday. This means that, when I look at my future balances, there's often a HUGE dip (sometimes into the negative) on that day. This looks really bad, but it isn't a problem, because what it's doing is calculating the remaining balance after these large payments hit, and *then* adding the deposit for my paycheck. It would be nice if I could set it so that, when calculating future balances, my paycheck deposit is always added at the beginning of the day, before any outgoing payments. This will give a more realistic accounting of the available balance for that day.

3) More flexibility for individual reminders that are part of a regular bill. I have all of my bills set up, but, of course, there are often changes to individual payments. I will often have to change the amount or date of a specific payment. But if I click on an item in Reminders that is part of a Bill, my only option is to change the entire series. So what I have to do is delete that occurrence, then create a new single reminder with the new information and link it to the Bill. It would be nice if, in addition to "Delete This Occurrence", there could be an "Edit This Occurrence", so I can change the amount or date of an individual occurrence without having to affect any other occurrences for that Bill.

4) Open-ended Bills. I should be able to create a recurring Bill without an end date.

5) Dynamic Google Calendar integration. A few months ago, I requested the ability to export my payments schedule to import into Google Calendar. Your response to that was very fast, and greatly appreciated. However, there is one flaw to the current implementation: it is static. It requires downloading a Calendar file, then uploading to Google Calendar. This means that, any time I add a new reminder or change a Bill, I have to go through the export/import process again. Would it be possible to add a link so that my Google Calendar can automatically retrieve my Payments schedule from your servers? I know this may be impractical, but I thought I would mention it.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for listening, and keep up the great work.
qob
Premium Member
Posted: Sep 6, 2013
qob   |   Posted: Sep 6, 2013
I second the Deposit suggestion. The previous stand-alone checkbook program I used had an option to "Make Deposits the First Transaction of the Day" so I didn't see erroneous negative balances.
bluefuel318
Posted: Jun 16, 2014
bluefuel318   |   Posted: Jun 16, 2014
+1 to "Edit This Occurrence" in Reminders!!!
billfinch
Premium Member
Posted: Sep 12, 2014
billfinch   |   Posted: Sep 12, 2014
+1 for the Open-ended Reminders!
ajeffcoat
Posted: Mar 3, 2015
ajeffcoat   |   Posted: Mar 3, 2015
I would also request that a tool be added to add a transaction on a daily basis based on activity. Meaning, my Credit Union offers a saving plan that places small transfers each day from my checking to my savings based on my debit transactions. If I use my debit card for a $7.50 purchase, it will round to the nearest dollar and deposit it into my savings. It will do this for all Debit transactions and add the differences and make one transfer. Hope that makes sense.
nisperos
Premium Member
Posted: Jun 22, 2015
nisperos   |   Posted: Jun 22, 2015
First a huge +1 for Clear Checkbook in general. It has changed my life.
+1 for Open-ended Reminders
+1 for Dynamic Google Calendar integration, which I'd like to have combined with ...
+1 for "Estimate Future Balances." What I mean is: it would be helpful to have Google calendar automatically retrieve my Overall and Jived balances and post them on the dates for the corresponding transactions. If there are any transactions on a date, nothing would appear in Google Calendar for that date, but on dates for which ClearCheckbook has one or more transactions, the final Overall balance for that date and the final Jived balance for that date would post to the same date in Google Calendar. The main benefit for me would be seeing those future dates when my Checking balance (Overall or Jived) dips into the red, which would signal that I need to do something about it. I roll into this +1 qob's suggestion that CC make deposits the first transaction of the day.
brucebowe2
Premium Member
Posted: Oct 2, 2015
brucebowe2   |   Posted: Oct 2, 2015
Please get more bandwidth. Often, I am having to wait a long time for a page reload. Not my provider or my router or computer. When the page is taking a long time to reload, I get immediate page reloads on all major sites like a Google search for instance.
dev2smm
Premium Member
Posted: Feb 24, 2016
dev2smm   |   Posted: Feb 24, 2016
Enjoy the product, this is my first full year in using it so have become well versed in its flexibility and usability.

In the process of extracting information to send to my accountant for this tax year.

I have had to rely on the Year to Date by Category report to create a csv file of all transactions for the taxable year.

Have converted the csv file to excel and duplicated it as many times as I need for each account and department since I use the system for 3 different business. and withing each business different departments.

I delete account and categories that don't pertain and then manually autosum the columns I need. I have done this for 10 or so variations.

I would be great if in this report Year to Date by Category (select categories then record type text) we could also select specific categories thus making this completely flexible for accounts and categories you might need.

This functionality already exist in the viewing tool where you can select specific categories within accounts to see.

Thanks for your consideration of this item in your future enhancements.
GHassay80
Premium Member
Posted: Apr 4, 2017
GHassay80   |   Posted: Apr 4, 2017
I'm confused as to how the "Overall Balance" is calculated in the register. It only appears when transactions are sorted by date.

The "Overall Balance" isn't including the "Jived Balance" so it's difficult to follow the calculations unless you re-do them using an adding machine or spreadsheet.

Could you include the "Jived Balance" in register calculations that use the "Overall Balance?"

Contact ClearCheckbook

If you have a question about the site, please check the Support Forums, Tutorials and Help section to see if it's already answered there.

Your message has been sent.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We work hard to respond as quickly as possible to our emails. You'll receive a response soon.