ClearCheckbook Support Forums

ClearCheckbook Support Forums

Search the Forums

Enter a word or phrase (eg: what is jive?)

Show payment to a credit card

carriejhendrix
Posted: Apr 29, 2014
carriejhendrix   |   Posted: Apr 29, 2014
I entered a transfer from my checking account to my credit card (to show that I was making a payment). The transaction showed as a debit (-) from my checking account, but then showed as a credit (+) in my credit card account. Basically it showed up as a deposit which INCREASED by balance rather than decreasing it. Is there any way around this? I tried to type in a negative payment, but it wouldn't work.
alonghini
Posted: Jun 30, 2014
alonghini   |   Posted: Jun 30, 2014
I believe the situation you described is normal. When you transfer funds from the checkings to the credit card account there X will be removed from the checkings account and added to the credit card account.

In theory, your credit card account would be usually at a negative balance. Say you get a new credit card today. As you make purchases, you go from the original balance of zero to some negative number. At the end of the billing cycle, you make a payment equal to the purchases, thereby bring the balance (which was negative) back to zero.

From what I gathered, you've entered your credit card expenses as credits (i.e. positive numbers) instead of debits. I think that might be the source of the problem.
shrove86
Posted: Nov 23, 2016
shrove86   |   Posted: Nov 23, 2016
Carrie, I just seen this and I know it is old but if you read this(and for other people who find it) you could do this. I am going to assume your credit card balance is $500. So set your starting balance at $500. Everytime you spend money(say $100) your balance drops(now $400). When you pay it back or transfer it($100 again), your balance returns to $500, meaning you owe nothing on your credit card.

Edit:I just figured something out. I am new to the credit card type accounts myself. If you set it up as a credit card account, your initial balance will be $0 if you have no charges on it. If you have, say, $500 in charges on it, make your initial balance a negative number(e.g. $-500) and then just post and pay(transfer) to and from it as normal. If you set a credit card limit and start your initial balance as I stated the 2nd time, it will keep a percentage of credit used for you.

Contact ClearCheckbook

If you have a question about the site, please check the Support Forums, Tutorials and Help section to see if it's already answered there.

Your message has been sent.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We work hard to respond as quickly as possible to our emails. You'll receive a response soon.