ClearCheckbook Support Forums

ClearCheckbook Support Forums

Search the Forums

Enter a word or phrase (eg: what is jive?)

Rollover budget does not work when remaining value is negative and less than initial value

selpa
Posted: Feb 20, 2015
selpa   |   Posted: Feb 20, 2015
Hi

Can someone please explain if I am doing something wrong?

In budgets if my remaining value before the rollover date is positive everything works great month to month.

But If my remaining value is negative and less that my initial limit, the following months don't work has expected.

Let's say I want to save for Holydays 150 a month. I see a good deal and I spend more than the budget has accumulated so far. I expect the budget to go negative and sum the following months the 150 until it fills up.
The CC Budget does not cover this situation, I think, and over estimates the available funds for that category

Example:

Initial Limit 150

Month 1: Spent 350 ; Remaining value -200 OK

Month 2:Remaining value previous month + Initial limit -200+150= -50 (but the CC budget shows 0 NOT OK)

Month 3:Remaining value previous month + Initial limit -50+150= 100 (but the budget shows 0+150=150 NOT OK)

Month 4:Remaining value previous month + Initial limit 100+150= 250 (but the budget shows 150+150=300 NOT OK)

If in month 2, 3 or 4 I spent more this problem adds up.

I don't want to use annual budgets for this because that would add 1800 (150*12) to my Total budget and I wouldn't know how much I have to spend for each month.
I think that monthly budgets should keep track of negative values from month to month.

Am I missing something?

Otherwyse CC is great!! :-) Been using it for more than 3 years now.

Thank you
Sergio
Brandon
Premium Member
- Site Admin -
Posted: Feb 20, 2015
Brandon   |   Posted: Feb 20, 2015
Sergio,

We'll look into this issue. The problem is that we don't want to set negative budgets but I can see how your example becomes a problem if you overspend by more than your actual budget.
KrypticChewie
Premium Member
Posted: May 24, 2018
KrypticChewie   |   Posted: May 24, 2018
I would really appreciate this. Has there been anything done for this?

Contact ClearCheckbook

If you have a question about the site, please check the Support Forums, Tutorials and Help section to see if it's already answered there.

Your message has been sent.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We work hard to respond as quickly as possible to our emails. You'll receive a response soon.