ClearCheckbook Support Forums

ClearCheckbook Support Forums

Search the Forums

Enter a word or phrase (eg: what is jive?)

Bug - Account Rename bug

caseyandgina
Posted: Feb 28, 2015
caseyandgina   |   Posted: Feb 28, 2015
I went to the accounts page and updated a bunch of the accounts at once. Then since there is no Save All button, I went through and pressed all the individual 25 save buttons in quick succession. Now my accounts are all screwed up, with some accounts having the same name and some being obviously misnamed. I have to try to figure out what's what by the transaction history for each. :(
caseyandgina
Actually this is really horrible. Nearly every account is now misnamed and I am having a really hard time sorting out which is which by logging in to each account online and checking transactions. One of the accounts in the Tools-->Accounts section does not show up on my register no matter what I rename it to. I have currently named it "NOT SHOWING UP!!! WTF.". I don't know if it was a real account with transactions on it or not, because everything is in such a disarray. I have quite a few accounts and it will be very difficult for me to determine if one is missing.

Uggggh clearcheckbook has really let me down. :(
caseyandgina
I have painfully gone through and fixed all the names, one by one, carefully. There are two accounts I need help with - can you guys please tell me what the previous names were for the accounts with the following current names?
* "???"
* "NOT SHOWING UP!!! WTF." - and why isn't it showing up?
Brandon
Premium Member
- Site Admin -
Posted: Mar 2, 2015
Brandon   |   Posted: Mar 2, 2015
Sorry you had that problem. I've spent a little while trying to replicate your issue but so far haven't been able to get any of the account names to overwrite themselves.

The 'Not Showing Up' account isn't showing up in your account list because you haven't added any transactions to that account. It still shows up in the Add Transaction form.

We don't keep a history of account names, so unfortunately we can't pull up what the '???' account used to be.
caseyandgina
caseyandgina   |   Posted: Mar 2, 2015
It's easy to reproduce. Just go to the accounts page when you have 20+ accounts, then add a prefix or something on each name. Then go through and click all the save buttons in rapid succession. I think adding prefixes is what caused it because it changed the ordering of accounts, and if I had to guess without knowing, I would guess that the form uses an identifier based on the account's order in the list rather than a unique non-changing ID assigned to each account.

All that I did was to add a prefix of "CC - ", "SC - ", "Inv - ", or "Loan - ", to existing account names, so that I could get them logically sorted in the account overview since ClearCheckbook doesn't group accounts by category.

You don't keep any logs of account changes?? I have tracked down which account it was, finally. Had to go back to a transaction from August of last year that I still had a receipt for. If the other one didn't have any transactions, I don't know whether it was an old closed account that I pruned old transactions from, or if it was something I would like to keep around. If there is truly no log on your end I guess it will always be a mystery. I deleted it for now.
Brandon
Premium Member
- Site Admin -
Brandon   |   Posted: Mar 2, 2015
I'm still unable to reproduce the issue with either my personal account or any of my several test accounts.

The ordering has nothing to do with the way accounts are saved. Each account is a unique <form> element that passes the unique id for each account.

My only conclusion is that your browser might have some sort of form filling option enabled and it used whatever your first saved account edit was for all the successive saves.
caseyandgina
Posted: Mar 12, 2015
caseyandgina   |   Posted: Mar 12, 2015
No, I don't use any form filling option. I am just using stock Safari with no plugins or special options.

Contact ClearCheckbook

If you have a question about the site, please check the Support Forums, Tutorials and Help section to see if it's already answered there.

Your message has been sent.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We work hard to respond as quickly as possible to our emails. You'll receive a response soon.