ClearCheckbook Support Forums

ClearCheckbook Support Forums

Search the Forums

Enter a word or phrase

Estimate Future Balances - Detail all transactions

I would like the Estimate Future Balances feature to detail all transactions with a running balance so I see when a balance gets to a particular level.

Thanks
Richard
by richcbaker  
posted January 11, 2009
I would like extend on the suggested feature, we should be able to see future snapshot balances of all my accounts as per Mar 5, 2009 or past snapshot balances as of June 20, 2008. This would help add future transactions and see how ur balances affected
by priyatham  
posted January 14, 2009
It' important to see the details. Like MS money. So you can see exactly where is the problem and when.
by ceccaste  
posted March 26, 2009
To extend, or maybe just clarify... I would like a line graph, with dips and peaks, to show me on which date I will be low (like right before payday) and which date I will be higher. This would help in scheduling payments.

Thanks!
by wallydog1  
posted November 16, 2009
Please make a line graph with a daily balance for each date in the range.
by wallydog1  
posted November 16, 2009
I agree with this. I need cash flow reports to see if I need to pay a bill early or if I am going to have to put something off.
by Monica6128  
posted November 22, 2009
You can now view details in the future balances. Simply run your future balance estimation like normal and now there is a "details" link for each month. Simply click it to expand a line item list of all transactions.
by Brandon   Site Admin   Premium Member
posted December 2, 2009
I like the line item list. I would also like to see the date for that transaction as well as a running estimated balance for each transaction in the list. I agree with wallydog1's post from May 2009 that a line or bar graph showing the daily balances would also be helpful for a quick glance of when/if there is an issue with a specific account dipping too low.

I also found a bug within the calculation:

Steps to reproduce bug:
1. Create a recurring transaction for every other month
2. Post the first instance of that transaction before it is due
3. Run the Estimate Future Balances report for the next X months (doesn't seem to matter how far in the future)
4. The posted amount will be counted twice in the calculation
by moultonne  
posted January 17, 2010
Odd. I'll look into that bug moultonne and see what i can find out.

Does the day of the month matter at all?
by SiliconTrance   Site Admin   Premium Member
posted January 18, 2010
I don't think the day of the month matters. I moved it around from a day in the future to a day in the past to see if there was an issue with that. I worked around the issue for now by:
1. Deleting the posted entry from my recurring transaction
2. Changed my recurring transaction to start the following month
3. Adding a transaction for what was originally posted from the recurring transaction

My hunch is that it is looking at the start of the recurring transaction(s) and adding them to the projected amount, but not taking in to account that the I had already posted one of those transaction to my register. I confirmed this in two ways: 1) confirming with my data in Quicken. 2) by manually summing up the data shown in the details and adding it to the current balance on my account.
by moultonne  
posted January 18, 2010
Calculation Bug: I have a reminder for an annual payment on 1 August 2010, but the Estimated Balance applies it in BOTH July and August.

This would have been much easier to spot if the Detail lines showed dates.

I heartily second the request for a day-by-day line graph of net position.
by russellwaldron  
posted January 25, 2010
Correction: It was a once only, not repeating reminder.

Work-around: I changed the reminder date to 25 July, and the reminder now (correctly) appears only once.

Repeatability: Reverting the date back to 1 August, I cannot reproduce the bug.

More strangeness:
1. How can I get the Estimated Balance to pick start of month instead of apparently random dates (e.g. Mar 3, Mar 31) as divisions when I choose a long time-frame?
by russellwaldron  
posted January 25, 2010
How can I get an export of all reminders, so I can add them up for myself?

The Estimated Balance bug is pretty serious. It is an error of selection, not of calculation. I think I have about 600 reminders, and several of them appear twice in the Details on the Estimated Balance page. It is inconsistent but so frequent that it is fairly easy to demonstrate.
by russellwaldron  
posted January 25, 2010
This is my essential purpose for using a personal finance package. EFB is incorrectly including line items twice at the moment: I can't trust it. Detail and a simple export would enable me to work around it.
by russellwaldron  
posted January 25, 2010
I have added dates to the Details breakdown on the Estimate Future Balances tool, as well as made the Recurring transaction name a link to take you to that recurring transaction so you can edit it.
posted January 29, 2010
Thanks, Brandon. That is very helpful and appears to have eliminated the double-counting, too.
by russellwaldron  
posted February 5, 2010
It would be great if the EFB feature was tweaked to include:

* The balance after each detail transaction (so I can see if a particular transaction will overdraw my account)
* The ability to specify _when_ the extra withdrawals/deposits will occur (ie: extra withdrawal on the 9th, extra deposit on the 15th)

This would, for me at least, make this an excellent planning tool when I'm contemplating the affect of extra payments (on a mortgage, say) on my overall balances.

Thanks much,
-jon
by jmoses  
posted March 2, 2010
very important. like buxfer's future balance.
by dwaynemac  
posted July 14, 2010
+1, very important for me as well. Just like Buxfer, MS Money, and BudgetTracker.
by Ericatunc  
posted July 15, 2010
All I need is a running balance in account view. Each transaction line should have a running balance so I can see if I will dip too low after a payment but before my paycheck. The transactions and amounts are already listed, why not include a running balance? I post my recurring transactions for the month all at once and need to see what's left in the bank after each transaction. Should be easy.
by lthomsen  
posted August 2, 2010
+1 Wallydog1's comments.
by albidrez  
posted December 29, 2010
Under Debt Snowball Plan
Updating the "Monthly Payment includes ______ extra each month." is not changing after I save. I am not sure if this is due to a glitch with the new Version 5 release?
by caspersim   Premium Member
posted August 17, 2020
In case anyone else has the same question as caspersim: What was happening to them is they had many completed debts which get included in the additional payments each month amount.

You can remove these amounts from the additional monthly payment by deleting the completed debts.

The way the debt snowball should work though is the amount you were paying for each completed debt gets added to the next debt in line. That's how the "snowball" is formed.
posted August 17, 2020

Contact ClearCheckbook

If you have a question about the site, please check the Support Forums, Tutorials and Help section to see if it's already answered there.

Your message has been sent.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We work hard to respond as quickly as possible to our emails. You'll receive a response soon.