ClearCheckbook version 5 was launched on August 15th and since then we've been making a lot of updates to improve the speed of the site.
If you feel like ClearCheckbook has been loading and responding a little quicker than normal, you're not imagining things! We've been hard at work upgrading many aspects of both the hardware and software running ClearCheckbook to help improve response and load times.
Some of the updates we've made:
- Doubled the RAM in our database - This improves data caching which dramatically decreases the time it takes to look up items in the database
- Separated sessions, job queue and cache into separate databases - This helps the site make different types of requests for information without causing a data backlog
- Updated the server configuration to better handle higher traffic periods - Adding more CPUs during high traffic period helps throughput and response time
- Updated asset compression and cache expiration - This speeds things up by telling the browser to store certain files for a longer period of time
- Changed the home page slightly and changed image formats - Changing the layout of the home page helped us remove some of the files that were loading and using up unnecessary bandwidth
- Added a slight delay in the auto-complete fields - Rather than querying the database every time a keystroke is made, it will now ping the database a few tenths of a second after the last ping.
We hope these improvements have been noticeable and have helped make the site feel a little snappier. We'll continue to monitor various aspects of the site and work on making speed and response improvements as needed.